Travel with oxygen by car
How to travel with oxygen by car/taxi/bus
Traveling by car might be the simplest and best way for people who use supplemental oxygen to travel.
Patients that use Portable Oxygen Concentrators (POC) must just plug in their device at the car’s lighter while people who use oxygen tanks or cylinders, can relax at the back seats and enjoy their trip.
Although driving to your destination might take several hours or even days, patients can request for a rest stop when ever they feel tired making the trip less stressful.
Traveling by taxi or bus, won’t be as comfortable as travelling with a private car but there are things that you should do to make your trip easier and safer. Remember, no matter what means of transport you choose to travel by, it is always better to travel with a companion.
Before you travel with oxygen by car:
1) Visit your doctor to inform him/her about your trip. Also inform the doctor if there are extreme weather conditions at your destinations (high humidity, extreme cold, extreme hot, high altitude, air pollution) can make breathing even more difficult or/and can worsen your symptoms. Take a new prescription if necessary.
2) Make sure you have all the medicine you need.
3) Make at least one copy of your medicine and oxygen prescription and always have it on you.
4) Do a research for doctors and hospitals at your destination in case you need it.
5) Always have an oximeter on you and check your oxygen levels regularly.
6) If you ‘re travelling abroad, check if your insurance covers you in case of emergency.
7) If you are using oxygen tanks or cylinders, always have more than you will usually use.
8) If you are using a Portable Oxygen Concentrator (POC), fully charge all your batteries.
9) Be sure you have the right power convertors/adaptors.
10) If you have a Portable Oxygen Concentrator (POC) take your car adaptor.
11) Take your cpap or bipap machine with you, even when you’ re not planning to stay the night.
12) Always be prepared for possible delays and have extra oxygen/batteries with you.
13) If you don’t have your own oxygen device or oxygen tanks, you can always rent. There are companies that can supply you with oxygen devices or tanks almost everywhere in the world.
14) If you are going on a road trip plan and organize your route, your overnight stops, your daily drive hours and your rest stops.
Travelling with oxygen by bus:
You can travel with oxygen by bus
Find out what is the fastest way to arrive at your destination.
1) Contact the company early to inform about your oxygen needs and ask their policy and requirements for travelling with oxygen.
2) Ask if you can bring oxygen tanks or cylinders.
3) Ask if there is any doctor’s declaration form that must be submitted.
4) Place the Portable Oxygen Concentrator (POC) properly and make sure that the air filters are open.
5) If you have oxygen tanks make sure to store them properly and that there are no leaks. Never leave the tanks in a hot vehicle.
6) If you have arranged for a rental oxygen device or oxygen tanks/cylinders to wait for you at the station/ bus stop, contact the supplier to inform about your arrival.
To learn more about accommodation tips, click here.
Traveling with oxygen by car/taxi
Can i travel with oxygen by car?
You can travel with oxygen by car/taxi
1) If you have a Portable Oxygen Concentrator (POC) device make sure you have the car adaptor with you.
2) To use your Portable Oxygen Concentrator (POC) plug the adaptor in the cigarette lighter or other DC power.
3) Make sure you have extra fully charged batteries.
4) Place the Portable Oxygen Concentrator (POC) properly on a passenger’s seat or on the floor and make sure that the air filters are open.
5) If you have oxygen tanks/cylinders make sure to store them properly and that there are no leaks. Never leave the tanks in a hot vehicle!
6) Do not leave your Portable Oxygen Concentrator (POC) in the car due to high or extreme low temperatures.
7) Don’t place anything on the top of the device.
8) Always have one window little open.
9) Smoking inside the car is forbidden.
10) If you have arranged for a rental oxygen device or oxygen tanks/cylinders to wait, contact the supplier to inform about your arrival.